Tuesday, May 29, 2012

R.I.P. Doug Dillard

Like many people born in the 60s or 70s, the first bluegrass music I heard was the theme song to "The Beverly Hillbillies."  I am not entirely certain, but I think that the time I saw anyone play bluegrass music was when I saw the Darlings appear on "The Andy Griffith Show."  

The Darlings, minus Denver Pyle, were actually a group called The Dillards.  On Sunday, the New York Times reported that Doug Dillard, the banjo player in the group, died at the age of 75.  The L.A. Times has a more detailed obituary here.  Other than that I enjoyed his music, I do not have much else to add beyond what those articles say about Mr. Dillard's skill.  Requiescat in pace Mr. Dillard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 30 days are moderated because almost all of those comments are spam.