Friday, May 11, 2012

Old media is apparently still useful.

The big financial news this week is that JPMorgan Chase lost $2 billion since the begining of April.  Apparently, the loss is the result of trading in credit default swaps.  Listeners to the "This American Life" radio show have known that credit default swaps are bad news for several years.   

Some are using the news as a chance to gloat.  I do not want, or intend, to do that as I assume that these losses probably mean that some innocent individual investors have lost money.  However, I was struck by one part of the conference call that JPMorgan's CEO had with analysts and reporters.  The CEO was asked to identify what JPMorgan should have been paying attention to in this situation.  The answer was "trading losses" and "newspapers."  Let that be a lesson to anyone who thinks that the only use for the newspaper is to line the cat litter box.

3 comments:

  1. As a JPM shareholder, I find this situation to be pretty ... annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you know that you are a shareholder. I thought about checking to see if my 401(k) is invested in JPM but decided against doing so because that seemed like it would be a boring thing to do.

    In any event, I hope that the entire $2 billion was not your money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's not so impressive because I purchased the stock individually (outside of retirement fund). It has been a very good investment overall -- even after today's big drop -- but still annoying.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 30 days are moderated because almost all of those comments are spam.