Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Profiles in Pizza Parlors

Of all the bad predictions I've made on this blog, one stands out: I predicted failure for the campaign to unseat three Iowa Supreme Court justices who, as part of unanimous court, found a right to same-sex marriage in the Iowa constitution. Alas, the campaign succeeded.

But, hey, at least I'm out here in cyberspace making predictions, and copping to the bad ones. What are you doing, Anonymous?

Anyhow, the Iowa Three are back in the news because the Kennedy Center has bestowed upon them its Profiles in Courage Award, the award named after President Kennedy's ghostwritten book.

This is the ultimate Sportsmanship Award. After all, four other jurists made the same vote as the Iowa Three. Surely they were just as "courageous," no? How come they didn't get the honor too?

I suppose it's because it's unseemly to reward sitting judges for doing their jobs. So the Iowa Three are getting rewarded for getting fired. Period.

Congrats.

Is it unsporting to question how it becomes seemly to reward judges for doing their jobs only after voters de-job them?

Well, what do I know? I make terrible predictions.

By the way, Bob Vander Plaats is, by all accounts, still plugging away in the pizza parlors of the world. Now that's courage.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to a event today to hear one of those justices speak. I will post about it tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 30 days are moderated because almost all of those comments are spam.