Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Fourth

I hope everyone has a happy Fourth of July.  Here are two random thoughts regarding the day:
1.  My favorite member of the committee that authored the Declaration of Independence is John Adams.  He has been my favorite founder since I watched The Adams Chronicles as a kid.  The show aired during the Bicentennial year of 1976.   

2.  Speaking of the Bicentennial, from July 4, 1974, to December 31, 1976, CBS aired Bicentennial Minutes every night.  These were brief spots narrated by celebrities that were designed to educate viewers about the American Revolution.  In retrospect it is astonishing to me that these were aired by network television. Here's an example featuring Jessica Tandy:

1 comment:

  1. I thought I was over it, but this has renewed my anti-British rage all over again. How DARE they cut down the Liberty Tree!

    ReplyDelete

Comments on posts older than 30 days are moderated because almost all of those comments are spam.