Saturday, November 20, 2010

"And, now because he burned his junk, a faceless bureaucrat can see yours."

A case against the new airport security regime.

I have to admit that I don't have a strong emotional reaction against the body scanners, at least not from the "bureaucrats seeing my junk" perspective.  (The thought of bureaucrats seeing my junk just makes me feel sorry for them.)  Also, the reports of the alternative "grope downs" just remind me of the airport security methods I encountered in Amsterdam.  I survived.  Kind of fun, really.

But it does seem highly unlikely that any of this actually makes us any safer.  As Jeffrey Goldberg reports, this kind of airport security amounts to little more than a sham -- just "security theater" designed to make us feel safer while catching only the stupidest of terrorists.  On that basis alone, I oppose increasingly invasive security measures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on posts older than 30 days are moderated because almost all of those comments are spam.